Thursday 16 May 2013

The Summer House by Santa Montefiore

I absolutely loved reading this book, it had me hooked! From the synopsis on the back, I presumed that Phaedra was going to be George's mistress, but then when she revealed that she was his daughter, the story took a really interesting turn. I adored George's wife Antoinette and loved reading the journey she took throughout the book, from grieving to anger to forgiveness and truly finding herself as a person as she learns of new passions. I also loved reading of how the family as a whole grew and came together all because of Phaedra, especially the grandmother, Margaret's shift in character. David's crush on Phaedra seemed a strange story line to include, and to some extent gave away the twist that would come towards the end of the story. The only disappointment to me was the ending of the book, which seemed a little too neatly and easily resolved, especially the epilogue where the happily ever after was summed up by Margaret as part of a conversation that seemed a little bit too forced. This was the only thing that stops me giving this book full marks, so instead I give this book 9/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment