Thursday 28 November 2013

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

This was an unusual book and I'm still a little undecided as to whether I liked the main character, Macon, or not. I see that Tyler was trying to show his flaws and how his journey throughout the book changed him. But even by the end of the book, I couldn't warm to him fully. I did feel pity for him quite a lot during the book, especially because of the death of his son, the strange rituals which ruled his life, and his wife leaving him. The arrival of Muriel marked the beginning of his change, but Muriel herself actually irritated me, even though her quirkiness is supposed to be endearing. All of the characters, from his boss, to his brothers and sister, and even his dog, were unconventional and a bit strange, although I did enjoy reading about them. The main disappointment for me was how the book ended. Up until the last paragraph, I thought the book would end with Macon breaking free from both Muriel and his wife and move on to a fulfilling life. The fact that during the final paragraph he chooses Muriel was a little disappointing because I never felt she was really right for him. But I did enjoy reading the book and give it 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment