Thursday 8 November 2012

Home for Christmas by Cally Taylor

I didn't really think that this book was all too Christmassy - Christmas was barely mentioned except for the fleeting descriptions of Christmas decorations - although it was still a good read. The only problem was that I wasn't too keen about the main character, Beth. Her heart was in the right place, but she was so incredibly ditzy and such a pushover. Some of the embarrassing things she did were quite funny, but others just made me cringe. It was good how the story was split into both Beth's and Matt's perspectives. Matt's grandad was such a lovely character, probably my favourite in the book. I didn't really feel close to any of the other characters, though. Beth's best friend was fickle and rarely there for Beth. Beth's mother was pushy and rude. And Mrs Blackstock didn't really seem to care about the cinema she claimed to love. However, the storylines were interesting, and kept me wanting to read. There was just a little something missing that I get when I feel really attached to the characters in a book, which I just didn't feel here. I give this book 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment