Saturday 14 July 2012

Laura's Handmade Life by Amanda Addison

Although I really started to enjoy this book towards the end, there was something about the narrative that stopped me from loving the book as a whole. It took me a while to get into the book, for a start, as the main character, Laura, really irritated me. She seemed to see her children as an inconvenience in her life, and I didn't feel that her having children actually added anything to the plot. She was a scatty character, which was very much reflected in the narrative. One sentence she would be discussing one topic, the next something entirely different, which often made it difficult to follow what was happening! However, I did enjoy the general plot, and the descriptions of the handmade items, the sewing classes, and some of the other characters (except Chris, who annoyed me throughout). It really made me want to get my sewing box out and start sewing again, which is a good sign in a book. And there were some parts of the book that had me hooked, despite my earlier complaints. Therefore I give this book 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment