Saturday 4 January 2014

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop by Jenny Colgan

This was a nice read, set in an idyllic English village with some eccentric but loveable characters, such as Lilian and Hetty. Rosie is a good main character as she is down-to-earth and is described as a fuller figure, which is more like the 'real' world so easier to identify with. The main problem I had with this book was Rosie's boyfriend, Stephen. I think he is supposed to be written as a dark and mysterious character, a Mr. Darcy type. But to me, he just came across as rude, stubborn and spoilt, and I didn't like him at all. Lilian's story line was a good one, with an unexpected twist which was interesting and emotional to follow. And the book had a very nice Christmassy feel (even though it is no longer Christmas!). Overall, I give this book 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment