Tuesday 3 September 2013

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair

Although this book was meant to be funny, it was actually pretty sad, too. The opening chapters that describes Anne's life were really quite depressing! And as we get to know Anne and Jean and their combined histories, there is a real sadness underlying all of the comic scenes and irony. My favourite scene in the book has to be when Anne's son comes across his mother in the nude after she believes he is a burglar - this actually made me laugh out loud, a rare thing in a book (mostly I laugh on the inside). I would have preferred the consistency of chapters just from Anne or Jean's points-of-view because occasionally Jess or one of Anne's sons would take over the narrative, but I suppose this was needed to reveal certain aspects of the story. But overall, it was a good read, and there were parts where I was thoroughly gripped. I give this book 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment