Saturday 14 May 2011

Laying the Ghost by Judy Astley

I can't really decide whether I liked this book or not. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't drawn to it, either. However, my opinion might be tainted by the stress of exams at the moment so I will try not to be too harsh. The problem was that I never felt truly connected to the main character, Nell. And I didn't really like how some sections of the book were from the perspective of her teenage daughter, Mimi. I also didn't like the character of Steve. Although I knew I wasn't supposed to like him, the whole S&M side of him was just strange. The storyline of him stealing the letter for Patrick and writing a fake reply was good, though. And I did like the character of Ed and wished I'd heard more from him and his budding feelings for Nell. However, what I did really like was Nell's career as an artist and I enjoyed the descriptions of her work and her studio. Overall, I'd give this book 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment