Tuesday 20 August 2013

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

I was fascinated to read this as I have heard mixed reviews about it, but I quite enjoyed it. I think the main problem that is people compare it to Harry Potter, but as a stand alone and adult novel I thought it was an enjoyable read. It did take me quite a while to get into the flow of reading it because there were so many characters introduced at the start so I was getting confused who was who and didn't feel I'd been given enough chance to make a decision about their characters. But once I got into the story and the characters, I read the rest of the story quite quickly. There was so much going on and various story lines that were really interesting to read. The main thing that irritated me throughout the book was Rowling's use of brackets that would go on through various paragraphs. And I felt at times techniques such as this were showing an effort to come across as 'literary' and just felt unnatural. In addition, in trying to make an escape from her Harry Potter days, I feel she involved far too many descriptions of sexual acts and lots of swearing that was unnecessary. But overall, it was a good read so I give it 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment