Monday 15 July 2013

The Importance of Being Myrtle by Ulrika Jonsson

This was a lovely, easy read with various characters which show the dynamics of family relationships and the effects of death. The main character, Myrtle, was perhaps a little bit weaker than I would have liked, but grew throughout the book to become really loveable. The two daughters were well written, both being very different and therefore bringing different elements to the story. The character of Gianni was a bit random, but was important and enjoyable to read. And I really enjoyed reading the growing relationship between Myrtle and her next door neighbour. The only problem was that it just didn't have me totally gripped, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I also would have liked to have seen Myrtle using her garden more as a haven as implied in the synopsis. I give this book 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment