Friday 21 June 2013

The One-Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Jumped Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

This has got to be one of the best books I have ever read! It is witty, interesting and gripping. Allan is the most amazing, yet modest and indifferent, character ever to be written! His calmness and ease in every situation is something to be admired and gets him into some hilarious and precarious situations. I love how at the start of the book, Allan is alone, but as the story progresses, we get introduced to a motley gang of characters, who should not go together, but do. Sonya the elephant was a particularly great addition to the cast. I was always on the edge of my seat, wondering how Allan would get himself out of all the situations he found himself in, especially as the police were always a step behind. I was fascinated reading the story of his life and the famous historical characters he met and the events he effected. Each chapter ended with a cliff-hanger, leaving me wanting more. And it was written so well, with such humour yet empathy and without all of the literary trappings that often make books pretentious. So I definitely give this book 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment